100 years of the BC Forest Service celebrated
One hundred years ago the province created the first government agency to preserve B.C.’s forests through forest fire prevention, use of timber management areas, tree planting and diversification of tree-growing.
Since 1912 the BC Forest Service has managed and protected the province’s forests and range lands.
On April 24, current staff and retirees from the Campbell River area got together at the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations office to celebrate 100 years of exemplary resource stewardship.
Maps, photos, books, and other items from 1914 to present were displayed, including former Campbell River mayor Charlie Cornfield in his 1975 Forest Service uniform.
The BC Forest Service has marked many milestones over the past 10 decades, including:
- 1927 – Opening of one of the province’s first experimental forest nurseries in Victoria.
- 1938 – Planting the one-millionth tree.
- 1940s – B.C. forest surveyors were used in World War II for the D-Day invasion to fly over French territory and describe the topography.
- 1955 – Helicopters were first used for forest inventory and mapping.
- 1970 – Creation of styro-block and plug system that revolutionized the planting and growth of seedlings, leading to an exponential increase of seedlings planted.
- 1981 – Planting of the one-billionth tree.
- 1994 – Forest Practices Code was introduced.
- 2004 – Forest and Range Practices Act and regulations came into force.
- 2008 – Planting of the six-billionth tree.
The celebration in Campbell River was just one of the events throughout the province. For more about the history of the Forest Service as well as a complete list of events visit the BC Forest Service Centenary website: http://www.bcfs100.ca/bscripts/index.asp