Saw palmetto works for prostate enlargement
Bill age 26, came in with complaints of chronic prostatitis.
This is an inflammation involving the prostate gland most common in younger men. 5-10 per cent of cases of prostatitis are caused by a bacterial infection that is easily treated using antibiotics. The rest of the cases are chronic prostatitis with no clear etiology nor treatment. Repeated rounds of antibiotics usually only offer temporary relief. Bill had had no previous urinary tract infections and had been on numerous antibiotics over the last few years. His PSA readings are high due to the inflammation and I warned that they may stay on the higher side for the rest of his life. This makes it hard to monitor the prostate for cancer later on, but prostatitis does not typically increase the risk of prostate cancer.
I told Bill that I find that these cases usually resolve once the yeast overgrowth (dysbiosis) is controlled in the intestinal system. I also reviewed with him the lifestyle recommendations to keep his prostate healthy as he aged and I reminded him that prostate cancer is the most common cancer affecting men and is the second leading cause of cancer death in men after lung cancer.
1. Know the PSA numbers. Have a baseline done in youth to monitor velocity changes in the PSA numbers with age. (For example if the PSA increases .35ng/ml per year it may be cause for concern even though the PSA is within normal limits). After the age of 50 yearly digital rectal exam (DRE) and PSA levels are recommended.
2. Take selenium 200mcg per day. Even some urologists concur that selenium reduces prostate cancer risk by 60% and are recommending it now especially for those residents of Vancouver Island where selenium is missing from the soil. Brazil nuts are an excellent source of selenium.
3. Omega 3 essential fats as found in cod liver oil inhibit prostate cancer.
4. Know your vitamin D blood level. Levels of 25(OH) at 150nmol/L will prevent cancers in general and most adults need upwards of 2000-4000IU’s per day.
5. Saw palmetto: I recommend men take saw palmetto as a preventive and treatment for benign prostate enlargement (BPH). The first sign of BPH is getting up during the night to urinate in those who do not have a history of this. Within one month of use that most men no longer have to get up to urinate during the night.